Monday, January 14, 2013

Mental Health and Climbing

More like mental health IS climbing.  Hit the gym with a couple friends today, first time in about a week or so and just ripped it up.  Didn't climb a lot of hard stuff, spent a lot of time doddling on boulder problems, but I was able to work the bottom half of an awesome 5.12-. and I almost sent a 5.11- on my first try, but made a silly mistake at the top and took a fall.  Then finished it solidly.  Bouldered some V3 business, played around on V2, and setup a wicked little two dyno V0 route thing that is really fun.  Basically, climbing helps me let go of shit and just relax and have fun.  It's a physical challenge, and a wonderful work out.  Working out is something that has been missing in my life, and it is creeping back!  Been busting out the weights lately, and yesterday I went for a run around Swan Lake.  It's a gorgeous little run there, and it's not overly strenuous so it's perfect for me right now.  I've been on my bike a lot more, and not letting the fact that I need to bike somewhere stop me from going there.  Although it hasn't been pissing rain lately, so that could be a part of it.   I am feeling more open to exercise though, which is really exciting.  It helps to clear my mind.  It's as if for the moments I'm exercising that is all there is - just pushing my body, and working my limits however low or high they may be.  The stresses of everyday life, and romance, and work just all go away and I'm left to breathe hard and work hard.  I find that extremely relaxing.  Tomorrow is going to a busy day - work on bikes, climb, belay, climb, work, and then come home!  I'm really excited for it.  I haven't had a busy day like that for a long time.  Old healthy habits of being busy are popping up again and getting me excited for the days to come!  This week is a good week sofar.  Going to be full of time at the climbing gym, which makes me very happy.   VERY happy, seeing as I can't really afford to go climbing any other way than through belaying.  Alas, I am going to end this post here and move on to other things.  I shall post again soon!  It's good to get these feelings off my chest and send them outwards.  This is going to happen more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment